Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Lesson From Elijah

As of late I have been defined by my struggles...but that's not what I want to be known by.  I want others to know me by how God has changed me.  Not for accolades for myself but so others will know what God can do for them...how He works in lifes and does miracles in helpless...hopeless people...that's me.  How He changes hearts...heals you clear way down deep into your very soul...I want people to know and see that! 

Lately I have been praying a lot...I have much to talk to God about...much I need help with.  What is most amazing to me is this...

Even though I have not been stellar...great at...being what I need to be...God has not left me.  As for me...I never left either but I did back away a bit...I don't even know why.  You see I know that when things in life start to unravel the best thing I can do is to press in...not back off...but I increasingly backed away.  I recognize now that it was me...not God...that backed off.  (I am truly grateful that was pointed out to me.)  With that said...

This morning I simply said..."Lord, please show me something to read today that I need to hear."  And He did.  I have always liked this passage but today I learned something new in it.

1 Kings 19:9b-14

But the Lord said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

Elijah replied, "I have zealously served the Lord God Almighty.  But the people of Israel have broken their covenant with You, torn down Your alters, and killed every one of Your prophets.  I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me, too."

"Go out and stand before Me on the mountain," the Lord told him.  And as Elijah stood there, the Lord passed by, and a mighty windstorm hit the mountain.  It was such a terrible blast that the rocks were torn loose, but the Lord was not in the wind.  After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake.  And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire.  And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper (a gentle blowing).  When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave.

And a voice said, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

He replied again, "I have zealously served the Lord God Almighty.  But the people of Israel have broken their covenant with You, torn down Your alters, and killed every one of Your prophets.  I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me, too."

Okay...my study bible tells me that even though Elijah feels like he is the only one left...he is not.

What always stuck out to me before was that God doesn't necessarily speak to us in a loud booming voice.  No...many times...He speaks in just a whisper.  Sometimes in the stillness of your sleepless night...He speaks and you just know. 

What is pointed out to me now is this...After the storm God asks a question and Elijah answers with the same answer as before.  So we can see...nothing had changed for Elijah even though God did these mighty things to get His attention.  Elijah just stayed hidden in the cave...not really wanting to "see"...hear...what God was saying to him. 

For me...right now in my life...I get it.  God has allowed some big storms to hit me in the last few months...right up to very recently...and my world has been rocked!!...I am broken.  Like Elijah I have not "really" seen or heard.  I have not really "got it" up to this point.  I have just stayed hidden in my cave...going my own way...thinking that in the end it would all be okay.  But I was wrong.  Nothing is okay. 

So the scripture that comes to me now is...

Psalm 27:8
My heart has heard You say, "Come and talk with me."
And my heart responds, "Lord, I am coming."

The great thing is...When we do "Come and talk", He listens and cares.


The Lord is good.  As I looked that up I saw reference to another verse...something I so need today...

Isaiah 1:18
"Come now, let's settle this," says the Lord.
"Though your sins are like scarlet,
I will make them as white as snow.
Though they are red like crimson,
I will make them white as wool.

Thank You Lord!

Lord I just ask that You hear my heart today.  I come before You...bowed low...and ask You to make me whole.  Forgive me of all my thoughtless actions and sinful ways.  I only want to live for You Lord.  Help me to seek You in every part of my life.  Thank You for giving me chance after chance after chance.  I fail miserably most days yet You are willing to forgive and take me back if I will but bow low in repentance and come to You.  Help me Lord to always do that...sooner rather than later.
Thank You.  In Jesus name...in Jesus name...








No comments:

Post a Comment