Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

ARMY STRONG


Last night I was reminded....again....of how good the devotional Jesus Calling is.  I read it most everyday for three years.  Then this past year I have gotten "sloppy" in my devotional time.  I haven't been reading and studying....first and foremost....my Bible like I should or my devotional books.  There has been a definite reflection of this in  my attitude and every other part of my life....even in this blog I attempt to write.  I think about all of this and start digging in again....doing well for a few days....only to find myself being a slacker....again.  So this morning I determined within myself....with the Lords help....that I will fall backwards into my old habits.  Immediately this thought  came to mind....

There is an old Army slogan which was made into a recruiting commercial in 1986 that says, "Army. Be all you can be."  Then in 2006 they replaced that slogan and commercial with, "Army Strong." Those were made to convey to young people that if you join the Army you can become the best you that you can be.  In fact "Army Strong" was to convey the idea that if you join the Army you will gain physical and emotional strength, as well as strength of character and purpose.  You are just going to become an overall better person.  For some that is true but not everyone that joins turns out better.  The Army has changed some people for the better but some....not so much.  We have seen many stories in the news that reflect that. So what does this have to do with me....and you....

I am reminded of a song that we sang in Sunday School when I was a little kid....

I may never march in the infantry
Ride in the calvary
Shoot the artillery
I may never fly o'er the enemy
But I'm in the Lords Army
Yes sir
I'm in the Lords Army

The funny part is....I sang the song but never was in the Lords Army as a child.  In fact  didn't "join up" until six years ago.  What I have learned since is that....


In the Army there is no room for slackers.  You will be a detriment to yourself and the health and well being of all your fellow soldiers.  It's the same in the Lords Army.  Being a slacker is a detriment to you....your overall spiritual health and well being.  If your spiritual health is lacking....so will everything else about you.  And....you can't show His light to the world around you with much effectiveness.  When you're in the Lords Army you can be "All you can be".  Young or old....with the Lords help....you will gain emotional strength as well as strength of character and purpose for your life.  If you work at it....and let the LORD work within you....you will become an overall better person.  The Lord changes you but you do need to keep working at it.  Let the Lord build your character into what He wants you to be.  Before long you will be....

"Army Strong" in the "LORDS ARMY!" 






2 comments:

  1. Amen, it is a working together with the Lord that brings results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to admit it, Chelle, but I experience slacker times too. I definitely feel stronger when I'm working though. Great post!

    ReplyDelete